Apple, Cinnamon and Blueberry Cake
This apple and blueberry cake has a hint of coconut and cinnamon, is deliciously moist and can be whipped up in no time. Admittedly, it looks a bit understated but don’t let that fool you, the taste and texture of this cake steals the show. This no-nonsense, easily transportable cake is light and fluffy but still satisfying making it the perfect end to an informal dinner party, picnic basket dessert, or tea-time treat.
2 cups of whole wheat flour
120ml muscovado sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup blueberries
375ml apple juice
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup dessicated coconut
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
⅓ cup sunflower / canola oil
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoon castor sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients, adding the sugar last.
- Form a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients, adding the apple juice last. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. The mixture should be easy to stir, not too sticky and not very runny. If it is too dry then add more apple juice, a small splash at a time.
- Pour/scrape into a greased standard-sized springform pan (approximately 23 centimeters). Using a spatula, ensure that the batter is spread evenly.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the batter, completely covering it so that no batter can be seen from the top.
- Bake at 150 degrees Celsius for approximately 40 minutes. Allow to cool before releasing spring and gently maneuvering springform pan off of its base.
*This recipe was inspired by and adapted from The Vegetarian Kitchen by Melissa Bushby.