Strawberry and Apple Tart
Our first dessert recipe. We’re doing things a bit differently this week, where in general I would make almost all of the components for the recipes from scratch, this week it’s is all about convenience. It’s also not a particularly healthy dessert but sometimes it’s okay to treat yourself a little – it’s all about balance (and that long run that you are planning for tomorrow will help a bit…)! Strawberries are starting to come into season (albeit a bit earlier than usual – not complaining though) and I’m a huge fan of using seasonal produce because you are likely supporting local farmers, it is affordable and tastes sweet and delicious.
This wonderful dessert is very easy to prepare and has minimal ingredients. It is definitely a crowd pleaser and looks (and tastes) absolutely beautiful.
400g puff pastry (frozen roll), defrosted overnight in the fridge
50g chopped almonds
180g Apple and Cinnamon compote (from Woolworths – costs R 24.29)
200g fresh strawberries, sliced
35ml icing sugar, divided in 15ml plus 15ml plus 5 ml
- Pre-heat the oven to 185 degrees celsius (170 degrees for a fan oven).
- Unroll the thawed pastry and line a greased (I prefer coconut oil) baking tin with a removable base.
- Sprinkle chopped almond bits evenly over the pastry.
- Dot almond covered pastry evenly with dollops of apple compote.
- Combine sliced strawberries carefully with 15 ml icing sugar, so as not to crush them.
- Place strawberries concentric on top of apple compote dolloped and chopped almond sprinkled pastry.
- Sprinkle the other 15ml castor sugar over the strawberries.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sift the last 5ml of icing sugar over as garnish.
- Allow to cool, slice and dig in!
That’s it, enjoy!